TrustyTrunks is all about fun in the sun with our leakproof swimwear, but we’re also all about sun safety. The delicate skin of a toddler can be easily burned and irritated by too much sun. It is especially important to protect your child’s skin in the early years to prevent skin cancer later in life. Here are a couple of tips to help ensure you and your family can enjoy your day at the beach while protecting your toddler’s delicate skin:
Try to avoid the sun as much as possible when its rays are at their strongest, from around 10 am to 4 pm.
- Cover up with protective clothing and apply sunscreen to exposed skin.
- Choose a sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays and has an SPF of at least 30.
- Avoid products that contain PABA, as these can irritate the skin.
- Don’t forget to protect the lips – apply a sunscreen lip balm to your child’s lips.
- Remember to apply sunscreen frequently, especially if your child is in and out of the water.
- Sunscreen is not recommended for babies under 6 months of age. Instead, they should be covered up and shaded from the sun.
- UVA/UVB-blocking clothing is available that can prevent your child burning as regular T-shirts actually provide little protection from the sun’s rays.
You have probably heard these tips before, but who has never had a sunburn? It doesn't hurt to be reminded.
Enjoy your day in the sun with TrustyTrunks leakproof swimwear and make sure you bring the sun protection!