At TrustyTrunks, we’re all about having fun during a day at the beach or the pool! We’re also all about water safety for your toddler. TrustyTrunks help keep water safe by preventing infant-prone accidents from contaminating the water, but overall water safety is a group activity! Water survival skills and effective supervision reduce drowning risk for children ages 1-4 years old.
The following are some key reminders from www.healthychildren.org to ensure water safety for activities in, on and near the water:
Ensure constant, close attention on your toddler while in or near the water.
- Avoid the use of alcohol or drugs around the water, especially while supervising others.
- For younger children and weak swimmers, get in the water with them (referred to as “touch supervision”). Always keep children at within arm’s reach. If you must leave, take your child with you.
- Don’t leave baby or young child in or near water under the care of another child.
- Assign a “water watcher” to constantly keep eyes on child on or near water. Take turns assigning the responsibility after a set amount of time (e.g. 15 minutes).
- Remember that primary drowning risks for toddlers 1 to 4 years old is unanticipated, unsupervised access to water. Children are naturally curious and commonly slip away unnoticed during non-swim times.
- Always use life jackets approved by the U.S. Coast Guard when in or on water such as lakes or rivers. Weak swimmers should also wear life jackets when at the pool or water parks.
- Know how to recognize signs of distress and respond when there is trouble. Everyone, including parents, caregivers, and older children, should learn CPR and safe rescue techniques to respond to a drowning incident.
Also, enrolling in quality swim lessons for your child, when they are ready, is another essential way to prevent drowning. Check with your pediatrician if you have any questions as to whether your child is developmentally ready to begin swim lessons and how to find a quality swim program for your family.
From all of us at TrustyTrunks, have a fun, AND safe, day at the beach!